Monday, April 9, 2012

An Easter Tradition


I love Easter! Obviously, it is the time we celebrate our Risen Lord and the Grace and Life we know through Him. I also love Easter for the music. In my family, music was so important! My parents are the ones who first taught me to love music, and taught me of the values of the Easter faith through music.
I am one of eight children, and every one of us learned at least one musical instrument growing up. The irony for me is that the one I most enjoy now is one I didn’t play as I was growing up. The music, however, is in my bones and spirit. Easter brings the best of that out for me.
This Easter I had the privilege of playing my flute with several strings members and play along with our church choir in our Friday Tenebrae service. This is when music is more then notes, more than instruments, more then people who have skills and bring harmony (or appropriate dissonance) together. This is when it all comes together and tells a story and becomes a prayer that goes beyond any words. Anyone of us is part of something so much greater than we are as individuals. We are even more than the music put together. It becomes the Holy Spirit moving through us telling of  God’s Love for us!
Easter is more than a day, a family gathering, a church service. It is the harmony that tells a story of God’s love for us. Of all the traditions that we have in our Easter celebration, it is often the gospel in the form of music that moves me to the cross and into the celebration of Easter best. I am so grateful for the Easter tradition my parents have passed on to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment