Monday, August 8, 2011

Moving Through Transition

I am going through, yet, another transition in my life now. This one I did not choose. It was a downsizing from a healthcare system where I had worked for more than 9 years.  This is the third time this has happened in my life. The last one 11 years ago taught me a lot about how to approach this one. No, it still isn’t easy, and yes, I still have the waves of anger and sadness at times. One thing I have learned in my life is that change, or transitions, are a part of life. Sometimes we choose them, sometimes they happen to us.

Among those many transitions are the many moves I have made in my life. Like many folks, I have moved more times than I care to count anymore. Part of this has been due to the fact that I am what my family calls a “professional student”. I love to learn and grow, especially when it provides meaningful opportunity for me to serve better in my profession, well, professions, actually. Professional Counselor, Life Coach, Minister, Spiritual Director. Yes, they are very different professions, if you know them well. I hold sacred the responsibility of knowing the differences and honoring each.

I am a seeker, a seeker of what is authentic in God’s sight. Obviously there is more mystery than what is known. On the other hand, each transition has called me to seek even more, to learn and explore what I don’t understand and want to know. God has done His greatest work in me when I felt my own powerlessness. It seems that I have grown most and risked most and found more satisfaction in the experience when the times have been least dependable in my own hands. I would like to have a peek into the direction life is taking me right now, but I am reminded that these are the times God calls us to hold the questions. The questions are often more important than the answers. Holding the questions means that we are open to listen and open to grow into something new. Right now it feels very uncomfortable and even scary at times, but I am reminded that comfort is not a part of the deal with God. Presence, grace and an unconditional love is promised; not comfort and an easy way.

Thankfully, I do have my previous experiences where I have been provided for far beyond anything I would have dreamed for myself. The truth is that I would not be where I am today if it weren’t for the challenges I have had in the past, as well as the blessings. I guess this is where transition has turned into transformation. When I learn to listen, to utilize the resources I have, and am willing to go through the grief, anger, the many unknowns and hold the questions, I begin to heal and be more than I was before. This is where authenticity is truly unleashed. I have come to believe this is not only about who I am, but who God is in me and how God uses me as His instrument for service. Sometimes, it takes these unexpected times of transition and the unknown for that transformation and authentic God to be manifested. I look forward to having a clearer understanding of what that will look like in my present situation, and I still don’t like the discomfort and scariness of not knowing. Yet, I hold on with trust because God has always provided before. This and the life and grace given through His Son is what gives me strength, especially now.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great! I hope you continue to find strength and peace through the trials and the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts about transitions & transformation are quite similar to my own at this age and stage of life! I appreciate reading and gaining wisdom from your perspective as you reflect back on the experiences and transitions you have gone through. I have found out recently that I resist a lot of things in my life . . .things that are happening not by my choice (like your job transition) and things that are happening naturally in my body due to age. Rather than living in the past (either regretting something I have done, or wishing a situation back), or living in the future (which usually creates anxiety, fear, or a seemingly "better" place in life), I truly want to embrace and enjoy the present moment that I am in . . . to embrace the simplicity, the blessings, the pain, the sorrows, the joys. I recently started a blog too -- a requirement for the Masters program that I am taking -- and have found great comfort and inspiration in writing! The posts I have to make are getting a little more nitty gritty and to the point with Early Childhood, but many of the blogs that I wrote during the first class this past winter and the first few assignments in this class were very healing for me because I had to recall some things from my own childhood or from my own experiences with my children and my work with children. I look forward to hearing more insight from you on your blog!! If in your travels as counselor, coach, and spiritual leader you have any excellent recommendations for a devotional, I would love to hear some! One of my absolute favorites is by "The Cup of Life" by Joyce Rupp. I have read and reread it . . . it is dogeared, highlighted and underlined. I like to read about authenticity & simplicity, and embracing the now.

    ReplyDelete